Wednesday 17 February 2016

6DM022, 6DM012: week 14 (8th-10th February 2016)


The video above is a rough update on pacing and spacing out certain sequences.

As I showed my current re-visit to the female character's figure design aswell as a small update to the animatic with cutting scenes out and stretching some of them out, my main goals from feedback included...
  • continue changing the female character to have a better feminine figure aswell as revisit the boy design as aging him down to 13 can get a better perception of what drives the plot in a better direction. 
    • As noted by fellow student Cherai Douglas and lecturer Sam Moore, having birthday banners aswell as having the boy being aged 13 helps put the story on the right path and would make more sense when he transforms into a werewolf as this would indicate a coming of age element. It also helps indicate that he doesn't know he will transform as he is attacked.
    • Sam also noted that for it to tell the way I want it to go, it would need to have more time duration to let it breath such as it could go over 2 minutes rather than 1 minutes 30 seconds. 
    • Change the vulnerability of the main sequence where he would be running away from the ghouls before he transforms aswell as showing signs of fear noted by lecturer Emily Mantell. 
    • The ending would need redoing to give the mother her moment to shine aswell as ending on a note that makes the audience understand the whole scenario better.
    • Fellow student Rob Livingston also noted that to indicate that he doesn't know he is a werewolf as the moon started to become clear in the sky, the boy would show signs of pain and stagger. This would help the direction of vulnerability and would play the sequence in the right direction. 
  Throughout the week I started to fix the story by updating the character designs aswell as continuing with others by using the redesign in different poses and structuring motions.
-To get another perspective on the redesign, I asked Andrew Taylor to see what he can come up with a different look for a 13 year old character.
 From this given design, the most useful points of creating the character is changing the head shape, making him shorter and improving the hair design. 
As he helped with my work I took some time away from my project to help give any advice and practical help with his project. What I did was help create more detail for his stop motion set from adding moss greenery to the tree to make it more dynamic.


Below shows the redesigns I did that interpret the helpful design from Andrew. I also did a small breakdown of how I would create the shapes when animating before clean up. This was done the with the mother character. What I did with her is start to design the werewolf version of her since I will make this more apparent in the ending sequence. 








After this, my next step was rewriting the scenes for the story before visualizing this on storyboard frames with the help of feedback to improve the story.


As I was doing this I wanted to start animating sequences that would work from the previous animatic I produced for pre-production.
These sequences in particular are the beginning; the scene where the ghouls emerge from the drain system for the first time and the scene where one of the ghouls attack the werewolf. One last note about these is that they are all rough sketched as I wanted to get the, camera position, shape and movements correct before adding detail and clean up.


I also like to show evidence of my work space that helps with knowing what scenes to animate aswell as other pieces of work that help with overall feel and mood I want for the animation which includes designs and concept art. But as any production aswell as given feedback this will be changed over the course of next 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment