Thursday 6 November 2014

Character and script idea 2 (Lady Margaret of the Dawn House)


As the smug talking stops and the music ceases, the crowd and employees gaze their eyes towards the top of the stairs of the hall. I can see who they are looking at. The owner and host of this astonishing but over the top gathering and celebration. Lady Margaret of the Dawn house, a wealthy but mysterious family that came out of the blue. But I can see that this young woman, even if nobody notices or that they are too dumb struck to notice that this woman like to makes an entrance, even for one younger than the guests. She’s wearing the most expensive dress and jewellery out of all her guests in the hall. Bright like diamonds shining across the room and looks soft as silk fabrics with accessories so rare, people have never seen the likes of them before.

As she makes her way down the stairs into the main hall with her bodyguards in tow, I can see from her body language and her motion without words that she views herself as the most important person in the room. Showing off her elegance and beauty towards the guests like it was the best thing they experienced. They gather towards her like she was a goddess, greeting themselves to her. But I take no interest in bending the knee, all I see is a woman, famous for her inheritance.

As the guests keep greeting, I notice something odd. Under the make-up they wear, they seem to be showing clear signs of sweat around their faces. This either shows they are nervous to be in the presence of something of such importance or they are showing another sign of anxiety, fear.

Next thing I know, I overhear one of the guests say to her ‘It’s wonderful to meet you in person, I’ve heard so much about you and your family, I hope you and I can be good acquaintances’ he said with a stammer and nervous tone in his voice. But I see that Margaret brushed him aside with a flick of her jewelled wrist, taking no interest in him whatsoever, displaying no sense of emotion as she proceeds to greet the next guest. This shows a clear sign that she is a bored woman.

Throughout the party, I watch carefully what she’s doing whilst I’m talking to the other guests. She seems to be examining her guests, sipping her expensive wine and whispering in each of her bodyguards’ ears with the look in her face of suspicion and dread. But all were distracted when they heard the shatter of glass upon the floor of the hall. One the servants was is a state of shock when he realised what he had done but I saw that he was further traumatized as Margaret angrily shoots her way towards him.

As I take a closer look, the servant seems to be in form of pain with the facial expression of shaking and tightness when she gets closer to him. But I don’t see any psychical aggression towards him as I am too far away from the exchange but I do hear an exchange of threatening and loud words to the servant. ‘What the hell do you think you’re doing, you’re going to make me a laughing stock’ she says before getting further angry when the servant tries to apologise. But she continues whilst interrupting his apologises ‘no excuse, you are ruining my gathering’. She pauses, as to show that she’s thinking what to do next, before directing her eyes towards her guards ‘men, take this man away, I deal with you later’.

But the exchange of words and the handling of the situation made things far worse. Margaret keeps her cruel and emotionless exterior in front of her guests as the servant is being dragged away, kicking and screaming. What shocked me more is how he begged her that he would do better and saying that he has a family to take care of and be with. When he was dragged out of the hall, everyone carried on like nothing even happened. It felt like that they were thinking they would suffer the same fate if they did something wrong towards the host. This made me wonder how a family that came out of the blue could get into power so quickly. What made this young, selfish and arrogant child become a feared figure towards her guests and her employees? But worst of all, if she is so feared that people would take no note of what happens, what punishment does she have in store for people who ruffle her feathers and for those who cross her the wrong way and threaten her power?  

No comments:

Post a Comment